Which Visa Should I get To Work In Australia?

A work visa is necessary if you want to start a career in Australia

You need the right visa to work in Oz, or else you’ll be sent back to your country! Your visa will depend on your individual situation: are you a single individual or do you have a family? Which country are you coming from? Are you qualified and can you apply for a job in a field that’s in demand in Australia?

business australia

How to get more information about visas in Oz?
You should visit the Australian Department of Immigration website to see the different types of visas available and read more about eligibility and requirements: www.immi.gov.au/immigration.

Some of the requirements are:

  • Evidence of available funds
  • Skills and qualification assessments
  • Health insurance
  • Police checks
  • English language testing

For some visas, you will need to have an Australian bank account already opened.

What to do first?

Are you a bit confused? Don’t worry, it’s absolutely normal! Immigration can be a real pain in the b… You should first try the Visa Finder (or Visa Wizard) on the Department of Immigration website. You’ll have to enter information about your status and circumstances, and the Finder/Wizard will then give you more information about which visa is right for you. The most common migration categories to live and work in Australia are skilled migration, study migration and family migration.

What rights will my visa grant me?
Each visa category grants different rights and conditions. You should be very careful: some visas don’t allow visitors to work or they have restrictions on healthcare. You could possibly hire a lawyer or migration agent to help you find the right visa, but first check their credentials to avoid scammers.

Want to become an Australian Citizen?
That would be great, right? Aussie aussie oi oi! 😉 Some visas are the first step on the pathway to australian citizenship. You can find more information about australian citizenship here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

Finding work in Australia

Did you get the right work visa? Congrats, you’ve done the hardest part! Now you can start looking for a job in Oz.

australia visa

Types of visas

The 2 most common visas are the temporary work skilled visa subclass 457, and the skilled independent visa subclass 189 (or 190):

  • The 457 visa allows a skilled worker to work in Australia in a nominated occupation approved by a sponsor for up to four years, providing that the sponsor is an approved business
  • The 189 visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government (you get the 190 visa if you are nominated by a state or territory).
  • You can also apply for a Work Holiday Visa (WHV, subclass 417) if you come from an eligible country. Usually, this visa allows you to work and travel in Australia. It is very popular with young Europeans who would like to visit Oz while earning some money on the side.

More info here: http://www.immi.gov.au/

Hunting for a job in Australia

australia jobs

The first thing you should do is to visit Australian job sites.  The three best ones are:

Some of these websites also give more information about salaries, and can help you get the right education if you need new skills to succeed in Australia.

You can also visit buy and sell websites like Gumtree to find backpacker/work holiday type jobs.

Tax in Australia

All workers in Australia must pay tax. The amount of tax depends on your salary. You can find more information here: http://www.ato.gov.au/ You must also get a Tax File Number (TFN). This unique number identifies your tax records and you need it to work in Australia. To check how to get one visit: http://www.ato.gov.au/

 Good luck!