You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Should I do fruit picking, or is it a waste of time?

Hi, many backpackers try fruit picking to fund their working holiday to Oz, and that's OK with me. But I was wondering of it's really a good idea. I have asthma, and I'm not the fittest person in the world. could this be a problem? is fruit picking really demanding physically? If anybody had tried it before, let me know what you think.

Hi,

I went fruit picking in Queensland and I was fine. Of course, it was quite physical, and tiring sometimes, but if you eat enough and get enough sleep, you should be fine. Now at the same time, I don't know how bad is your asthma. if it's chronic, you may have problems and become breathless when you have to pick the fruit, put it in your basket etc.

Not only did fruit picking break my back and neck, but I was treated really badly. I would NOT recommend.

Lots of scammers hire foreign fruit pickers and treat them like slaves. But some employers can be nice too. I guess you have to investigate and try to ask fellow backpackers what they think about the farm where they're working!

I think with your health situations you have mentioned, fruit picking might not be the best idea for you. It also seems like people have had relatively bad experiences with it also. Might be something I try to avoid myself.

Facebook Comments