Finding Australia backpackers hostels, a flat-mate, a budget hotel, or other cheap accommodation is an important part of your working holiday Australia trip.
Depending on your budget, your comfort zone, your travel style, and your relationship status, there are many options for finding the right accommodation to suit your short term and long term needs.
Whether you want to stay in a backpackers hostel when you first arrive or during your travels, or you want to find a flat-mate and more permanent accommodation, below is a list of your options…
- Stay in a Backpackers Hostel
- Find a Flat or a Flat-Mate
- Go Couchsurfing
- Find a Cheap Hotel
- VRBO – Vacation Rentals By Owner
- Mind My house
1. Stay in a Backpackers Hostel:
If you need budget accommodation when first arriving or cheap accommodation whilst traveling, a great place to start is a Backpackers Hostel. They are cheap, everywhere, and a great place to meet other travellers.
- Hostel Bookers – To find a great hostel online in Australia with the lowest price guarantee, check out Hostel Bookers. You pay no service charge or booking fee!
- YHA (Youth Hostels Australia) – If you want to travel Australia on a budget and receive 10% off hostels plus discounts on transport, tours, and activities, then get yourself a YHA Membership.
2. Find a Flat or a Flat-Mate:
- Flatmate Finder – is a great resource to advertise yourself if you are looking for a room, or to find rooms that are already being advertised. And the great thing about it is that membership and advertising on Flatmate Finder is FREE!
- Gum Tree – another fantastic site for finding flats, units, apartments, and houses to rent is Gum Tree.
- TNT Downunder – This site has a database of more then 8,500 accommodation listings in Australia and NZ!
3. Go Couchsurfing:
- Couch Surfing – is a great network that connects travelers with locals. CouchSurfing members share hospitality with one another, and hosts have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world without leaving home.
“Surfers,” or travelers, are able to participate in the local life of the places they visit. It also gives more people the chance to become travelers, because “Couch surfing” lowers the financial cost of exploration.
4. Find a Cheap Hotel:
There are several Hotel booking sites to compare hotel prices and facilities. Here are some of the best:
- Hotels Combined – allows you to search all the best sites at once.
- Hotel Calculator – find the best deal and book directly!
- Wotif – broad range of accommodation — hotels, motels, apartments, B&Bs
5. VRBO – Vacation Rentals By Owner:
Vacation Rentals By Owner – Do you or a group of friends need a week away? Sometimes, staying in a vacation property is cheaper than a hotel. Compared to hotels, vacation rentals offer more value, space and privacy.
VRBO provide an online space for homeowners to advertise their vacation properties and make it easy for travelers to search 150,000+ rentals in over 100 countries worldwide.
6. Mind My House:
Mind My House – is a global house sitting matching service. They provide all the online tools for home owners and house sitters to find each other from around the globe (or around the corner). House sitters provide their house sitting services for free in exchange for the privilege of accommodation in the owner’s home.
Are you a working holiday maker? Check our Working holiday Australia guide for all the info you need.